Sunday, July 26, 2009

Wakeboarding Mag Asks Malibu's Brian Grubb 20 Questions

1. How did you become pro? I guess just riding and being in the right place at the right time. Hanging out with Byerly and those guys. I was wakeboarding at the time, and I did a few pro events and made a little money doing that, but that's about the time I started wakeskating too, and I wanted to see where it took me, and that's when I started hanging out with Byerly and he helped me out a lot along the way.

This interview was posted by Wakeboarding Magazine, written by Craig Kotilinek and the photo was taken by Spencer Smith.

2. What made you switch over from wakeboarding to wakeskating? Probably the biggest thing was riding at the cable park and hitting rails. We'd seen it in the mags growing up, but I only really started hitting rails when I went to the cable park. That's when I really started to fall in love with the sport and I really wanted to start pushing it to the next level.

3. What was your favorite trick when you first turned pro, and what's your favorite now? My first trick that I really got consistent and thought was a hard trick was probably the toeside shove indy. My favorite trick now is a wake-to-wake backside big spin.

4. Who is your favorite rider and why? My favorite rider is Scott Byerly. I watched him growing up since I was really little and then being able to meet him and ride with him and become really good friends with him over the years is really cool. And even to this day he's still ripping. He hasn't lost it a bit.

5. What is the hardest thing about being a professional wakeskater? Probably all the travel, but that's also the best thing. We get to go all over the world and do all these crazy trips just because we're riding our boards. We're away from home a lot and it takes its toll, but it's definitely worth it.

6. What would you be doing if you weren't a pro wakeskater? Oh man I don't even know. I went to college and got a degree, but I haven't had any desire to use it at all. Liberal Studies from UCF; it's pretty much an undecided degree. I'd be living in Orlando, though, and doing something.

7. What is your biggest goal to accomplish this year? This year I really want to win Worlds. I haven't won it for a couple years — or actually about five years — and I really want to win it this year. I've been second for a lot of years, but I really want to win it one more time and I think this will be my year.

12. What's one thing you couldn't live without on a daily basis? I like riding everyday, so maybe my Malibu.

14. Who are your sponsors? Hyperlite, Billabong, Red Bull, Malibu, Von Zipper, Kustom Shoes, Watermans Sunscreen and Performance Ski and Surf.

18. What's your favorite way to ride? PWC, cable, boat? I like riding behind my Malibu VLX the best. I like going big. I like hitting double ups and hitting big wakes with long ropes. The higher you can go the better. I like hitting rails and stuff too, but if I had to pick one thing to do exclusively, it would be riding behind the boat.

To read this entire interview visit the "20 Questions with Brian Grubb" article on WakeboardingMag.com.

Tags: | | | | | | | | |

No comments: