Wednesday, April 24, 2013

5 Questions With Raph Derome


After a banner year in 2012, Raph Derome found himself on two magazine covers and winning “Best Wakeboarder” and “Rider Of The Year” with TransWorld WAKEBOARDING and Alliance WAKEBOARD, respectively. He won many events all over the world, highlighted by his coveted, overall victory at the inaugural Red Bull Wake Open. Here is where Raph’s head is at coming into 2013.
1.) Now that it’s Spring of a new season, what is your perspective on last season and all of your success?
It was amazing. I had a lot of fun and it was great to be back riding and traveling. Everything has really motivated me to figure out my plan for this 2013 season.
2.) What are your goals behind your WAKESETTER 22 MXZ this season?
I would honestly just like to ride more and have fun behind my boat. I didn’t get to ride that much behind the boat last year with all the contests and traveling. And the year before, I had my elbow injury so hopefully, I can get out and ride a lot this year.
3.) You are a creative rider on all levels. What do you think can be some areas for progression behind the boat?
Hard to say. But I believe the best progression happens naturally.
4.) Your lifestyle seems to be a little cleaner than a lot of other pros, how to you resist the urge to fall into the rockstar lifestyle?
I don’t know, I do my own things. I guess I’m just not a rockstar.
5.) What advice would you give to young aspiring pros, and those just looking to have fun and learn a few tricks this year? What is the key to keeping the fire and passion for wakeboarding?
You need to just ride and appreciate the present. I meet a lot of people who have a strong desire to become pro. To have fun, they need to become pro. Once the dream doesn’t happen, they stop riding. But that’s not what it’s all about. When wakeboarding is not going well, people should do something else, like go skateboarding or pick up a guitar. But always give it another shot.


Tags: |

No comments: