Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Haps with Pro Rider Sam Thomson


Malibu Boats (@MalibuBoats) Team Rider Sam Thomson (@SamRThomson) has been shreddin up the scene "Down Under" this winter. He sent us an email update with some cool Australian highlights and we thought we'd share. Also posted a couple shots of Sam on the Malibu Boats Flickr Channel. Check it out!

Hi Everyone,

This is an email to let you know what's been happening this season, what I've achieved and what I have planned for the future. From now on I'm going to send these little updates more regularly, maybe fortnighly [Aussie for 4 weeks] or monthly depending on how busy I've been.

I've had a successful year with lots of competitions, newspaper articles, magazine shots, my first cover, an award and 2 new sponsors. In mid-September Marlon Platt from Wake Magazine came to my home in Lake Conjola and we shot for 3 days for a cover shot and 9-page story. In late November I spent a week in Echuca coaching, driving and riding at the Malibu Just Ride Elite Camp at Brett Sands Watersports on the Murray River. Last weekend I spent 2 days at Del Rio Resort in Wiseman's Ferry for a Malibu owners reunion where I did coaching and demo's, and helped out with a barbeque for all the owners. 2 weeks ago I did my first Interview for a US magazine Alliance, It's called a Coming Up interview and is intended to showcase the new up and coming riders who ride in the US. In February at the annual Riders Choice Awards I was given the "Best New Talent" award.

This season I rode in as many competitions as I could, including grass roots event's and went to 4 NSW rounds and 1 ACT round. I wasn't able to make the 5th NSW round because it clashed with the Moomba Masters and ended up 2nd overall for the series. The first big pro event for the season was Wake Wars in Adelaide, where I finished in 4th. Then a few weeks later was the Pro Am at Stoney Park, Port Macquarie coming
5th. I also competed in 4 events at Brostock in Penrith which were cable orientated, and finally at the Moomba Masters in Melbourne finishing 5th. There's definitely room for improvement in competition's, I've been training hard, and have the ability to do much better, but just need to get my head right on the day, which is something I've been focusing on.

This season I picked up 2 new sponsors, the first was Capix helmets, and the second is a wetsuit company called Hi-Fi. Hi-Fi is a new company that are developing high quality wetsuits and vests. They haven't launched their brand yet, but you will be seeing more from them in the future. From here I am heading to South Australia tomorrow to do some riding at another Malibu Just Ride Tour stop, and then spending a week down there preparing for the Nationals, and then shortly after will be heading over to the states for the beginning of the US season and to ride in the US Pro Tour.

Thanks for all your help and support!

Cheers,
Sam Thomson

PS - Here's a cool trick I landed yesterday


Thanks for the update Sam! Glad to hear you're doing so well. Keep it up! Malibu Boats is pulling for you! In more ways than one...

Tags: | | | | | | | | | | | |

No comments: